Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Dress, A Masterpiece

Blessed by a dress.

The Original dress in 1993
 The boys were as excited as they are on Christmas morning.  They were watching the car pull up in the driveway and ran outside and back in to tell us they were here.  Blaine and Jack were jumping up and down as soon as they saw the Strouds start walking in the door.  The excitement all afternoon for this special time had been building.  We were all anxious and excited.  In her hands she carried the box... You would never guess that inside this box tied with a simple pink bow, was such a priceless treasure.  Another meaningful thing....it was Mother's Day.

Who knew twenty one years ago a wedding dress, my wedding dress, would be used again for such a different day?  I know God had a reason for it to be hanging in my closet, and today was the day we were going to see the most beautiful dress....ever.

The tears wouldn't stop rolling down my cheeks, I tried to hold them back, but just the thought of something so precious was overwhelming.  I opened the box and there were two absolutely breathtaking, identical dresses.


The gift started several weeks ago from Cathy.  The thought, work and prayers that went into making this dress was a gift in itself.  She had invited us over to her house one afternoon to help cut out pieces that would eventually be sewn into a gown fit for an angel.  She had each of us cut a part of the dress out; even the boys were able to help in making this priceless treasure.  Cathy asked us what we wanted on the dress, the only request was from the boys.  To put the front lace piece of the wedding dress onto the front of Grace's dress.




We prayed.  The prayers were for the hands that would sew the dress and for the beautiful girl that would one day wear the dress.  We prayed for a miracle, the miracle for her to remain on earth with us.  This afternoon was such a special afternoon.  Each of us were blessed, and thankful to have such Godly, caring people placed in our paths by our Heavenly Father.

As Cathy and Scott were sitting in our living room a few short weeks later I had never imagined something so beautiful.  She had made two identical dresses.  There was only one lace section on the front of my original wedding dress, so she hand pieced the lace from my train onto the other dress and you can't tell a difference on either one.  The booties were made and stitched with Grace on the bottom by Cathy's Mother.  They look like the most beautiful princess shoes I've ever seen.  Cathy made two bonnets, but didn't attach the lace.  She suggested that we stitch the lace on so that we again could be a part of helping create this beautiful masterpiece.  

Ephesians 2:10 "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."

A Masterpiece.  That is what God has created in us.  I think of the time, meaning, thought and love that went into this special, hand made dress.  I think of how special this dress is to our family and then I think of how special God thinks each of us are when he creates us in His own image.  His Masterpiece.  The love, time and thought  He has for us.  I can't even fathom what His heart must feel.  The love I have for my own children is unexplainable and I am nothing compared to Him.

Genesis 1:27 "So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them."

You might ask why two?  One will be for our beautiful angel to wear; the other we will keep as a treasure and a memory of the love and grace that was shared for our special Grace.

This gift was a true treasure to us.  We will never be able to say thank you enough not only to Cathy, but to all of you who are walking this journey with us. You are each appreciated, loved and prayed for.  Every name that comes across our path whether by a card, e-mail, note, etc.  you are  prayed for.  
Thank you.  
In His Love, Deidra
Hope you love the song below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XARMbvagfwY
So grateful to Cathy!

6 comments:

  1. Deidra, you continue to amaze me. Not that I expect anything less from this incredible family! I too dealt with fertility issues and so I know first handed the emotions that go along with baby showers, and mothers day, etc. I know God has a sense of humor because he allowed me to become "a mother" to Amy and Jerrod. Although I never carried a baby inside me, I cannot imagine loving Amy and Jerrod any more than I already do. I used to say that God did not think I was "mother material". I know everything is according to God's plan, but sometimes I just don't understand. I am blessed that Amy and Jerrod have chosen to "keep me on board" --- both have assured me that our relationships will not change even though Tylor has married "the other woman". I am so thankful that God allowed our paths to cross so many years ago. Your family holds a very special place in my heart. . . always has, always will! I love you dearly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I've seen the dresses and they are simply WONDERFUL! Thank you so much for this very special gift! It is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a beautiful soul my strong friend...i have loved you since we were 14 and you tried your best to guide me (though i never listened and should have!) At first my heart just broke when your dad tod me the news of baby Grace...through you and your amazing family and faith i have learned to rejoice with yall for the blessing she truly is. I live you DeDe..always have..always will..God bless you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry. Fir the spelling errors..misty eyes..love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful bride. Your dress was stunning! Deidra and Scott..... What a blessing your family has been to me. Watching , how you are living your lives, trusting and loving The Lord, as you go, fills my heart. Thank you for letting me be a part of your journey. As I was stitching along I was reminded of Gods sacrificial love for us. He gave His all, he gave His best to cover us. Your dress was symbolic of one of you best days. You willing had it torn so it could be a covering for baby Grace.Your beautiful girl will be so sweet in this dress. I hope you know the impact you are having on many, that don't even know you. I believe God is touching lives through you, the boys and Grace. Thank you for teaching me and blessing me. Continued prayers and hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete