Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Our Sweet Girl

June 8,2014

Sweet girl, I love you.  
It was so hard leaving today without you.  The wheel chair ride down to the car with nothing but flowers in my hand….no Grace, just flowers. Driving home without you.  After your brothers were born we came home to a house decorated for their arrival.  Today, we came home to a normal home.  No decorations, no Grace.  I was so angry. I’m angry that we didn’t get to keep you; angry that the boys didn’t get to see you; angry for so many reasons.  In the same anger, I'm so heartbroken. 

I am thankful that we had our glorious time together after you were born.  We tried to get in as much as we could in the little amount of time that we had with you.  Our sweet school family at Smith Elementary had given us a handmade/handwritten book of Bible verses.  The boys and I sat on the bed with you and took turns reading each verse to you.  Your Daddy found my favorite children’s book that I have read a million times to your brothers,  “I’ll Love you forever.”  We listened to the story, Jack rocked you, and we all sang  together “I’ll love you forever, I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living my baby you’ll be.”  That was such a special moment, watching my sweet boy rock his baby sister.  He kissed you, he hugged you and he loved on you.  Jack and Blaine took turns playing songs on the iPad and we sang “Happy birthday to Grace” and “Amazing Grace” over and over.  Blaine sat and rocked you and looked at you wanting to see your sweet face. He kissed you and told you how much he loved you.  Your Grandparents rocked you and held you close.  This was such a special time for us all.  There wasn’t sadness, just joy in the moment.  
Several of your family members by friendship came to celebrate with you.  It was such a bittersweet time.  The nurse had told us that at 12:30 they were going to come and pick you up and get you ready for the funeral home.  12:30 came too soon.  I wasn’t ready to let you go.  The nurse came in and said we could have five more minutes.  In that five minutes we all circled around and your Daddy prayed the most beautiful prayer for you.  I have never heard such a heartfelt prayer, your Daddy adores you and was so broken hearted to let you go.  We  all had a hard time.  I didn’t want you to leave, I wanted to hold on to you forever.  I know you were already in heaven, but I wanted to hold on to the last physical part of you we had.


My heart aches for you, I hate rolling over in the middle of the night and not seeing a crib next to my bed, but as your Daddy said last night you are in such a great place.  God knew you and knew you were not going to be healthy here on earth.  I was so sad that we didn’t get to hold you close in our arms.   I’m sad for the boys, they had  hoped they would be able to hold you and look at you.  They were so mad that we wouldn’t let them look at you.  Your Dad and I just wanted them to have a beautiful picture of you in their minds for the rest of their lives.  You were so tiny and God hadn't finished developing you yet, we just didn’t think that would be the best for them.  You were beautiful to us.  I just wanted to lean over and kiss your perfect lips, hold you next to my skin but we weren’t able to do that.  Now I just close my eyes and picture that we did.
We will head to Childress on Wednesday.  We are going to have your memorial service on Thursday morning. We will celebrate your short life with your family and friends. At the moment, I’m not looking forward to that.  Matter of fact I’m dreading saying goodbye.  We are happy that we were given the gift of you, even if it was for such a short time. 


I love you my beautiful angel, you will always be in my heart.
Your foot prints are so tiny in the middle of your brothers hand prints

8 comments:

  1. You are my hero De. You have the strength and courage I hope to have. Im unable to find words that fit. I cry with you from afar and am just as heartbroken for you. Know that your life lesson has taught and touched others. Lots of love, hugs and strength for the coming events ahead, but know Gods hands will hold you through it. Of this, I know...thanks to you, Scott and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You folks have touched so many lives, and shaped so many young people. You are truly a blessing to this world. My son and I are thinking of you daily and praying peace over you. Scott was such an impact on my son, Grayson and he speaks of him so often. We just pray comfort and peace over ya''ll.
    Larry and Grayson Richards

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with Wendy more. You and your family are utterly amazing to me. God gave Grace Elizabeth the absolute best parents she could ever have hoped for, even if the time was short. She has received, and given in her way, a lifetime of beautiful love and joy. I'm so proud to be her Great Aunt. Love you always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is so much in this physical world that we don't understand. God gives us gifts along the way with the faith that we give them back to him. We as parents understand this all to well. God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference. We love you so much...Mason, Melinda, Kyle, and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your family. I truly believe that some people, because they are such sweet spirits, are sent here only to get their body, then are able to go back to their Father in heaven. She will never have to know pain or sadness because she gets to stay with her Savior up above. I pray that he will lift you and your family up until that day when you see her again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could only hope I would have the strength of your family if something unspeakably sad were to happen. Your faith and love are an inspiration Winn family! Those boys are just too precious and our family wishes yours a million blessings and healing! I had to comment because these photos touched me so much. There are no words - you guys are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are no words, I am praying for your whole family :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your family is truly a blessing to so many! You are in my prayers during this season. May you feel God's comfort and presence with you.

    ReplyDelete